Home > Get Involved, Parent Perspective, Preventable Diseases > Here’s To No More Rainy Days and Mondays

Here’s To No More Rainy Days and Mondays

So, in my little part of the world it’s been raining all day.  It’s a gloomy Monday and all day I’ve felt a bit like Karen Carpenter singing “Rainy Days and Mondays”.

Image courtesy of Dan/FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Image courtesy of Dan/FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Sometimes I’d like to quit.

Nothing ever seems to fit.

Hangin’ around, nothing to do but frown.

Rainy days and Mondays always get me down.

These words seem to sum up my emotions as I reflect on this blog lately.  I’m fairly certain that there are plenty of vaccine advocates – like myself and the frequent commenters here – who have considered “quitting”.  You know, just giving up and not challenging the repeated lies and misinformation that are being spread by the anti-vaccination extremists.  What if we simply ignore them and refuse to spend any more of our time and effort correcting all the inaccuracies in their statements?

(more lyrics…)

Funny but it seems I always wind up here with you.

Nice to know somebody loves me.

Funny but it seems that it’s the only thing to do.

Run and find the one who loves me.

But every time I consider hanging it up, I find myself right back in the thick of it all.

What’s funny is that the people who “love me” are probably the handful of people who actually disagree with my sentiment on this blog.  They don’t actually love me, but they obviously love being here.  Why else would they continuously create new and ever-changing identities and use them to repeat the same lines of chorus out of the anti-vaccine songbook?  They use this forum to spew out their familiar conspiracy theories, misguided arguments and undocumented misinformation.

But thankfully there are several committed participants here who refuse to allow the misinformation to go unchallenged.  (And contrary to what some may believe, they are not paid to do this.)  For their knowledge and commitment, and most of all for their patience and support, I am very grateful.  They comment here because they know that the credible links they provide, the insightful reasoning they use and the logical way in which they disassemble the anti-vaccine positions are critical to our efforts to prevent disease and encourage vaccination.  Together we reach thousands of silent observers who read this blog, but do not comment.

(more lyrics…)

What I feel is come and gone before.

No need to talk it out.

We know what it’s all about.

Hangin’ around. nothing to do but frown.

Rainy days and Mondays always get me down

It’s true that this has all “come and gone before”.  I plan to continue my efforts here on this blog and am always open to suggestions from you, the readers.  How can we encourage a more diverse and productive conversation?  Do you think that by allowing so much anti-vaccine sentiment that we are preventing vaccine hesitant people from asking valid questions and addressing their concerns?  Or are we helping to refute their positions?  If you are someone who came here looking for honest and verifiable information about vaccines, are you inclined to return?  Why or why not?  If you prefer not to comment directly on this post, simply email me at shotofprevention@gmail.com with your comments and suggestions.

As I considered my own responses, I came across this video that a fellow Shot@Life champion shared on Facebook.  I was reminded that sometimes there is “no need to talk it out”.  The majority of people “know what it’s all about.”

The tune in my head changed in an instant.  No.  Actually it changed in a flash.  A flash MOB, that is!

Here you will see a mob of people so committed to help in the amazing effort to eradicate polio that they are willing to put their dance moves out there for everyone to see.  Now I love to dance and this song will definitely get you grooving, but I’m fairly certain I wouldn’t want to see a video of myself dancing on YouTube, except of course for a good cause.  (That’s because I imagine that I look good on the dance floor but that doesn’t mean it’s true.) But that is exactly why this video made me smile.

Take a moment to watch these people, young and old alike, dancing their hearts out in joyous celebration of Rotary International and their efforts to End Polio Now.  The fact is that we are “This Close” to eradicating polio.

This video demonstrates that there are many people dedicated to this noteworthy cause.  It’s also evidence that when we put our mind to something, it can be accomplished. There may be a lot of hard work left to do in the final push to end this disease, but we should all take a moment on this rainy Monday to recognize the sun peering through the clouds.  Our rainbow may not appear until after we weather the storm, but the anticipation of the rainbow is what makes riding the storm so worth it.

The forecast is for more rain tomorrow, and maybe even the next day.  But I know that one day I will wake up to the glorious sun!

1. June 3, 2013 at 9:56 pm

@Christine – when I get frustrated or down on life, I just look into the faces of my two boys & realize that, at the end of the day, it is worth the little bit of extra time to do the right thing and pass along correct, factual information so that parents can make the best decisions possible for their own children.

2. Christine Vara
    June 3, 2013 at 10:04 pm

Thanks Lawrence. I appreciate you always taking the time to engage in conversation on this blog. There is no doubt that my five children motivate me to do the right thing day after day, as they have done for the past 17 years. I’m really looking for honest feedback from the participants here as to how we may be able continue to expand our reach and help those who are looking for honest and verifiable vaccine information. To be honest, the End Polio Now flash mob was the perfect medicine for a gloomy, rainy day. It really did make me chuckle. Everyone was so jubilant and it was like they were dancing in the rain!

3. June 4, 2013 at 12:28 am

That was lovely. It also helps me remember the wonderful times I have had in Vancouver. From the first time I went to a disco club in the 1970s, going to Expo ’86, to my Canadian in-laws taking me to see “Phantom of the Opera”, to my younger son marking in nearby New Westminster’s International Parade, and finally just a couple of summers ago for just a nice sunny weekend while high school aged daughter went to a conference at UBC.

It is a vibrant international city, that sees visitors and immigrants from around the world. And, yes, they gets lots of rain, but much less snow than the rest of Canada (except on Grouse Mountain, there was still a patch of snow there in July).

Thank you, Ms. Vara, for carrying on. I do it because I have had to call 911 when a child had seizures due to a now vaccine preventable disease. Plus I have lived outside of the USA where I saw polio victims begging on little wheeled carts, plus I have worked with someone in the USA who limped due to polio. And I have met families affected by disease from the neighbor who had a daughter that was hard of hearing due to congenital rubella syndrome, to a co-worker whose wife was excommunicated because rubella killed the fetus she had have surgically removed in the 1960s. I also remember the misery I had when I had mumps in 1968 for the second time (it was an epidemic year).

But the kicker was meeting a mother at a mom/baby group with my second child. Her first child died from meningitis due to Haemophilus influenzae type B. What made that encounter more relevant was that my older son had ended up in the children’s hospital again for croup. During that more recent visit a couple of residents came in to with a nasty throat probe to check for epiglottitis. They remarked that since the introduction of the Hib vaccine (then only available for kids over eighteen months old), they were seeing less epiglottitis. Fortunately my second kid who was born in Sept. 1990 received his first Hib vaccine in January 1991, when it was approved for infants under a year old.

Thank you for your efforts. It is very important, because we all hate seeing children suffer (even if it is a cancer that takes decades to occur).

June 4, 2013 at 12:31 am

ergh… My younger son marched (not “marked”) New Westminster!

5. Quokka
    June 4, 2013 at 10:58 pm

I rarely comment but read every new article. I work on a daily basis with families who have a member diagnosed with autism or another disability and they are very vulnerable (often just through pure sleep deprivation!) to those that want to sell them something. Whether that be a miracle therapy/product/world view with no basis in science and no credible evidence to back it up or just want to waste their time trying to shame or guilt them into feeling helpless and hopeless about their situation.

The rebuttals and credible information I get from this site allows me to talk them through the misinformation and blame constantly thrown at them. Please don’t stop, you all help far more people than you realise.

6. Kari
    June 5, 2013 at 6:50 am

Please never give up, we now vax because of correct information we find here instead of listening to crazies.

7. dingo199
    June 5, 2013 at 7:34 am

Let me say how much I have admired your efforts to keep things going with this site, which has so many “likes” that its influence cannot be underestimated. Its also a great resource for when I need to pull out information.
    The flash mob video made me reflect on what we all try and do here, and elsewhere. Individually we may not seem to count, but collectively our influence is significant. As Kari says, never give up!