Home > Science & Research > Novel Nicotine Vaccine Trial

Novel Nicotine Vaccine Trial

cigarette2Contributed by Amy Pisani, Executive Director, Every Child by Two

Let me start this post with a disclaimer.

I hate cigarettes and am a completely biased reporter on all potential therapies that can help people stop smoking. That being said, results from a trial to test a novel nicotine vaccine were recently reported in Forbes and although the writer clarifies that there are potential setbacks to the study data, I can’t help but review the study with an eye towards success.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention:

• Worldwide, tobacco use causes more than 5 million deaths per year, and current trends show that tobacco use will cause more than 8 million deaths annually by 2030.

• In the United States, smoking is responsible for about one in five deaths annually (i.e., about 443,000 deaths per year, and an estimated 49,000 of these smoking-related deaths are the result of secondhand smoke exposure).

• On average, smokers die 13 to 14 years earlier than nonsmokers.

nicotineThe vaccine, NicVAX would in effect block the amount of nicotine that can enter the brain which results in less nicotine to fuel the addiction. In this small study, reported by the American Journal of Psychiatry, the participants not only reduced their cigarette use by 40%, but also reported a substantial decrease in cravings. For more on this research,read the Forbes article here.

PD_0009Cigarettes took the life of my grandmother.  They took my father before I even made it down the wedding aisle. They took my mother before my two sons ever had the chance to really know her.

Last year, my 11-year-old son shared his memories of my mother from when he was just a toddler.  Sadly, he only remembered a sort of scary lady with a tube connected to her face.  Of course, this made me want to cry. She wasn’t a scary lady.  She was a quiet and caring woman who loved kids, but had no strength to enjoy them because of the terrible emphysema she was suffering with when my babies were young.  Rather than spending her last few years enjoying her grandchildren, she was constantly being rushed from hospital to hospital in distress from her COPD.  On more than one occasion, her activities had to be restricted by the long-term care she required.

She eventually succumbed to what I can only presume was pneumonia during her battle with breast cancer. I will never forget the day when her cancer specialist explained that they could cure her cancer, but only if she could gain her weight back and get her breathing under control.  It was a death sentence for a woman who had repeatedly tried  to quit smoking.

PD_0149According to The Campaign for Tobacco Free Kids , each day, 3,500 kids in the United States try their first cigarette; and nearly 1,000 additional kids under 18 years of age become new regular, daily smokers. That’s nearly 400,000 new underage daily smokers in this country each year!

I hate cigarettes and the fact that companies market them to young children. I also have a great respect for the power of vaccines, and will therefore keep a watchful  eye out as the nicotine vaccine trials continue.  Hopefully the day will come, in the not-so-distant future, when a nicotine vaccine may be able to save the lives of my friends and family who are tethered to cigarettes.  When that day does arrive, I will gladly offer to pay for their vaccine, for I want nothing more than to improve their chances of overcoming this life-threatening addiction.

1. Elizabeth M. Allen
    March 1, 2013 at 12:46 pm

please take me away from this

Liz Allen Restrepo Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2013 16:25:01 +0000 To: lizmallen@hotmail.com

2. Ironic
    March 1, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Trading one poison for another – can’t wait for the weight loss vaccine to come out! Risk getting an auto-immune disease, but hey, lose weight now. Wonder what else they can make vaccines for? It will be fun watch!

3. March 1, 2013 at 1:42 pm

i would love to try this shot. I have been wanting and trying for so long.no success story here.hOW CAN I GHO ABOUT IT? hOW MUCH DOES IT COST? what are the side effects?

4. Mel
    March 1, 2013 at 2:41 pm

Why no fast tracking???

5. March 1, 2013 at 3:21 pm

@ironic – I find your post to be ironic without citations…..

@mel – perhaps more study needs to be done?

6. March 1, 2013 at 4:52 pm

It will be exciting once this vaccine is ready and available for wide spread use. I know many people who are smokers, would like to quit but all previous attempts have been unsuccessful. Even the patch isn’t a guaranteed solution, since once the patch is not used, the cravings can come back. Remember that nicotine is more addictive then heroine, even if it isn’t as devastating or risky, there are definitely risks to being a chronic smoker, just as there are to being a chronic heroine user.

March 4, 2013 at 2:40 am

Looks, and smells like, a whole lot of Spam posts here.

If you open the link to the Forbes article, it was a very small study, (11 participants), required 4 separate shots over 4 weeks and the study participants were not tracked for an extended period of time. A prior phase 3 trial (2011) with the same vaccine, where the participants were tracked over a long period of time had disappointing results. The vaccine was judged no more effective than placebos, possibly because of suboptimal doses of the vaccine.

While the goal of developing a vaccine of this nature is a worthy cause, IMO, much more research is in order here.

8. March 23, 2013 at 11:39 am

I couldn’t resist commenting. Very well written!|

9. October 19, 2013 at 3:19 am

Your retirement account is in their sights, there are $ trillions in liquid accounts just ripe for taxing. The Oaks will be transformed from an outdated shopping mall into a luxury mecca with valet parking valet parkingParking arrangements provided by a commercial establishment, such as a restaurant, whereby patrons leave their cars at the entrance and attendants park and retrieve them.As mentioned previously, if you are not able to find the money for the cost of a new piece then you should really search for the seasonal gross sales. The final quote in this vein deals while using caves of iceagain, but focuses over a different conception of these. This jacket goes for $185 through Dr. Laptops, including HP’s, will no longer came having a mouse popout or otherwise. New York, Middle Atlantic state of the United States. Mendel team in this pivotal role,said Gilles Mendel, Chief Creative Officer and fifthgeneration family member of J. It said more about her than it did about her mother. Even the very best caller.

10. November 6, 2013 at 9:54 am

my friend, that are a ok post.

11. March 28, 2014 at 1:24 pm

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on colosigmoidostomies.
    Regards

12. had
    March 28, 2014 at 6:22 pm

Hello, yeah this piece of writing is genuinely fastidious and
    I have learned lot of things from it on the topic of blogging.

thanks.

13. May 5, 2014 at 8:33 pm

WOW just what I was looking for. Came here by searching for download whatsapp for
    pc free windows 8

14. May 6, 2014 at 1:21 pm

In fact when someone doesn’t know then its up to other visitors that they will
    assist, so here it occurs.