Home > Get Involved, Preventable Diseases, Testimonials > Inspired By a Meningitis Survivor

Inspired By a Meningitis Survivor

I typically look forward to the celebration of the New Year. It’s a time when I try to recommit myself to goals that will bring about positive changes in my life. And while I don’t declare a laundry list of personal resolutions, I do spend time considering how my individual efforts can help better both myself, and the world I live in. This is what brings me hope at the start of every new year.

Unfortunately, this year I’ve been crippled with a feeling of insignificance as I witness a great deal of suffering in this world. People I know, and many I don’t, are dealing with serious mental and physical health challenges, financial turmoil and various other obstacles that are keeping them from living full and happy lives. As I see these problems extend throughout the country and even the world, I feel hopeless, even powerless, to help.  And for the past few weeks I have found it difficult to be optimistic.

So, as I sat down at my computer today I wondered where I would gather my inspiration. A few moments later I came across a story that immediately brought me perspective and gave me hope. It’s  a story that reminds me that we’re not defined by what happens to us, but by how we respond in the face of adversity.

Doing something in hopes of making a small change in our worldmay just mean a world of change to someone we may not even know.

KBontherunI would like to introduce you to Krystle Beauchamp. She has launched KB On the Run in hopes that people will visit her website and feel “a little more enriched, educated, and inspired to challenge yourself and the world around you.”  She is responsible for turning my spirits around today and I wish her much success.

Krystle is a meningitis survivor who is very focused and determined to raise awareness about the seriousness of bacterial meningitis, the importance of knowing the symptoms and becoming vaccinated, and the critical need that exists for further research into developing a cure for this aggressive disease. Now, nine years after her personal battle with bacterial meningitis, Krystle has made a pledge to walk/run/sprint/skip 100,000 steps for meningitis during the month of January. She explains,

“I’m a very lucky girl. So many others have lost limbs, sight, hearing, and have had their bodies altered in so many irreparable ways. I’m so blessed that all of my aftereffects were temporary and able to be corrected after time and treatment. I’m dedicated to spending my time and talents making sure that others know about this aggressive disease and don’t make the mistakes that I did–and that starts with awareness and vaccination.”

Meningococcal disease (or bacterial meningitis) is a serious, potentially fatal bacterial infection that strikes an average of 1,500 Americans annually. In particular, adolescents and young adults are at increased risk of contracting bacterial meningitis, compared to the general population, and they typically account for nearly 15 % of all U.S. cases annually.  However, the majority of cases among adolescents may be vaccine-preventable.

Krystle’s site goes on to explain that there are two kinds of meningitis vaccines in the U.S., both of which can prevent four types of meningococcal disease, including two of the three types most common in the U.S., as well as a type that causes epidemics in Africa. Currently, the CDC recommends a meningococcal vaccine for all children ages 11-18, as well as younger high-risk children, anyone who has been exposed to meningitis during an outbreak, anyone traveling to or living where meningitis is common, military recruits, and people with certain immune system disorders or a damaged or missing spleen.

For more detailed information about meningitis, including symptoms and prevention, visit the National Meningitis Association website.  I also encourage you to follow Krystle’s journey on her blog, leave her an encouraging note, or even DONATE to the cause!

Reading her personal story today has reminded me that we all have a story that lies within us.  Even if we haven’t suffered in the same way, our own individual challenges have made us smarter and stronger, and can each be used as the inspiration we need to make a difference in the world around us.  As we begin a new year, my wish is that we all find a way, no matter how small, that we can continue to bring about positive changes in our lives and in the lives of others.

1. Jasper
    January 4, 2013 at 12:08 pm

While meningitis of any sort can kill or disable, all three of the meningitis vaccines can do the same. Enrollment at Texas community colleges has sharply fallen off since they started requiring that students get the meningococcal vaccine, since so many have heard about vaccine damage and don’t feel a degree from the college is worth taking the risk of permanent disability. See Dallas Observer, “Vaccine Mandate had contributed to the sharp enrollment drop at Texas community colleges.” Caveat emptor.

January 4, 2013 at 12:20 pm

Jasper:

Citation needed to show that the vaccines are worse.

Also, unsupported newspaper articles are not citation. It is interesting how you failed to provide an actual link to the story. Now I see why, the issue is the cost of the vaccine, which can be burden to those with low income like students that typically go to community college:

The vaccine, a dose of which can run to more than $125, nearly twice the cost of a credit at most Texas community colleges,

And of course there was included a logical solution, that you thought we should miss:

State Sen. Jane Nelson, a Republican from Flower Mound, has filed a bill for the legislative session that starts next week that would lower the age at which students are exempt from the law from 30 years to 21. That obviously wouldn’t do much to help an 18-year-old struggling to pay community college tuition, but it makes sense since you won’t find many 29-year-olds living in dorm rooms.

3. January 4, 2013 at 12:37 pm

@Chris – there was a recent Meningitis death at GWU here locally, which came as a shock to a lot of people, who did not understand the seriousness of this disease, especially in a dormitory environment.

I also find Jasper’s post extremely misleading, given that the article states that “cost” is the overriding concern & vaccine safety is not even mentioned.

January 4, 2013 at 4:29 pm

Here’s an actual link to the background of enactment of this Texas colleges meningitis vaccine law…

Take special note of the numbers of cases of bacterial meningitis in Texas and the number of deaths in younger people. Sometimes it takes a tragedy such as losing your legs or your child to meningitis, in order for State lawmakers to take affirmative action to decrease the risk of contracting this deadly disease.

Where’s Jasper with proof about the meningitis vaccines that can “kill or disable”?

Jasper, you ought to stay away from those anti-vaccine blogs which are your *sources*.

Caveat emptor

5. Larry
    January 7, 2013 at 7:20 pm
    January 7, 2013 at 7:41 pm

Larry, why should we believe that? It is mostly rumor and innuendo.Following the link at the bottom of that page, turns our it was by Christina England, who seems to also feel that it is okay to shake babies to death and then blame vaccines. Next time post some real science showing that the vaccine for meningitis is more dangerous than actually getting the disease.

7. January 7, 2013 at 10:00 pm

January 7, 2013 at 11:21 pm

I hope you share your findings with a blogger. I noticed Larry did not actually link to Christina England’s “story”, but to someone who was repeating it. He must know that anyone who chimes in with someone like Buttram is not considered a good source of information with many of us (especially me, having seen a baby have real seizures I really deplore the “shaken maybe” crowd).

January 8, 2013 at 1:54 am

England’s “story” is all over the internet…on crank anti-vaccine/conspiracy websites. Of course it cannot be verified, because the Chad government paid “hush money” to the 40 people who supposedly were paralyzed by the meningococcal vaccine.

Try again Larry Troll.

10. Blue Bird
  11. February 12, 2013 at 3:50 pm

@BlueBird – any independent confirmation of any of this? I don’t really take VaxTruth at their word…..

12. Blue Bird
    February 12, 2013 at 4:44 pm

There are plenty of references listed at the bottom for your consideration.

13. February 12, 2013 at 5:27 pm

@BB – no, I mean independent verification….not a listing of links to other anti-vax website or just general information on vaccines from the manufacturers….I’m not seeing what I’m asking for…care to provide?

14. Blue Bird
    February 12, 2013 at 6:05 pm

Why are you so adament about denying the story? Do you really believe all of the articles are made up? The human rights group on the ground in Africa….think they are making it up?

15. novalox
    February 12, 2013 at 6:13 pm

@blue bird

[citation needed], preferably from an independent news source.

16. February 12, 2013 at 6:22 pm

@BB – why are you so willing to believe an non-independently verified story from a notorious anti-vaccine organization?

Where is the independent verification that this actually took place?

17. Blue Bird
    February 12, 2013 at 6:46 pm

I guess you didn’t read any of the reference links.

18. novalox
    February 12, 2013 at 6:59 pm

@blue bird

None of the reference links you supplied are independent sources, and most (if not all) of them are from anti-vax sites.

So, until you can provide independent verification, I must assume that the story is not true.

19. February 12, 2013 at 7:02 pm

@BB – I assume you didn’t read the referenced sources – because not only are none of the reports given independently verified, but several actually aren’t even links to information about the “story” – including this one:

The Ministry of Public Health, with the support of its traditional partners, organized throughout the day Monday, February 5, 2013 at CEFOD a workshop adoption of the Strategic Plan of Development of Human Resources and Country Profile Human Resources for Health in Chad for the period 2013-2020.

So, again, where is the independent verification?

20. Blue Bird
    February 12, 2013 at 7:16 pm

I guess you don’t believe anything you see on the news or read in the paper. Too bad you don’t use the same logic when it comes to vaccine research.

I am fascinated as to why you are so deliberate in denying this story. Must be something to hide.

Just because you deny the truth, doesn’t mean it isn’t the truth.

Cheers!

21. Blue Bird
    February 12, 2013 at 7:18 pm

Oh and I am sure the human rights group on the ground in Africa is making it all up.

22. February 12, 2013 at 7:28 pm

@BB – and which group would that be exactly? “Human Rights Group” isn’t the name of an organization that I recognize…..

As far as the other sources, again, most of them don’t say anything about the actual story & the EcoTerra website leaves quite a bit to be desired, if you consider it a “legitimate” news source.

So, as far I as can tell, you got nothing….let us know when you have something legitimate to bring up.

23. Blue Bird
    February 12, 2013 at 7:34 pm

I am still amused with your denial of it. It won’t make it go away lawrence, click your heals, but it’s still there.

If you are so confident that it is not real and is totally made up by whackos….do you care to wager on it? How much would you bet that it is a made up story?

24. February 12, 2013 at 7:48 pm

Blue Bird, you’re making a very serious accusation against Lawrence, who never once even suggested that he thought it was a made up story. Simply asked for independent sources (not biased against vaccines or science in general essentially) that can give credence to this story. Vactruth.com and various other anti-vaccine sites are notorious for ‘making things up’ or twisting truths until they are no longer truths, or stretching them until their meaning is completely different from what was originally meant and/or said. It’s a talent actually that many who follow them have come to be quite proficient at (case in point, you claiming Lawrence claimed this to be a made up story when he said nothing of the sort.) Making a wager on something being a made up story is really immature of you to even suggest. What Lawrence is asking for is other, non-anti-vaccine sources that can corroborate the story. If none are forth coming, the story cannot be taken at face value simply because of the knowledge on how the anti-vaccine/anti-science web sites operate. No amount of you insisting it is true (which you can’t know unless you have directly witnessed it and been involved in it) is not giving a credible, non-biased, independent source to back up the claims this story is making. To put it bluntly, put up, or shut up, because you are bordering on bullying behavior now.

25. Blue Bird
    February 12, 2013 at 7:52 pm

Not accusing Lawrence of anything…he said he doesn’t believe it. Let’s see if he’ll put his money where his mouth is.

February 12, 2013 at 8:00 pm

@BB – show me independent verification….something relevant, not from an anti-vaccination site, then we’ll talk.

27. Lara Lohne
    February 12, 2013 at 8:01 pm

Wrong again Blue Bird, Lawrence never said any such thing. Scroll up and read his responses. He has clearly asked for independent sources, because vactruth.com and the links referenced either cannot be taken at their word due to previously twisting stories to suit their agenda, or have nothing to do with the story and are pointless to include. You are putting words in his mouth and that is a bullying tactic. If you cannot provide independent, verifiable sources to back up this story as true, it cannot stand on its own. That should be common sense, multiple independent sources of the same information are always going to be more reliable then one group or groups with the same agenda spouting the same lie. If you want us to believe this story, in its entirety, provide other sources that are not notoriously anti-vaccine/science. Otherwise, go away, because you are simply wasting time here.

February 12, 2013 at 8:06 pm

Information on the official response, with actual government sources:

February 12, 2013 at 8:23 pm

@BB – I deal with facts, not conspiracies. The only place your “evidence” is being quoted is in places like Whale.to and Natural News, not known as bastions of truth and Science (much less rationality).

Care to try again?

30. Blue Bird
    February 12, 2013 at 8:40 pm

Facts? Where? Humorous Lawrence…you’re choosing to believe an unofficial source. Why? I thought you didn’t do that. Do you care to try again? There are no facts on that site. I see your favorite source, Todd W is on board with you too.

February 12, 2013 at 8:45 pm

@BB – I will take references from official government sources over speculation and conspiracy theories every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

What is your aversion to actual facts again?

February 12, 2013 at 8:50 pm

For the factually-challenged:

21 January 2013
    Republic of Chad
    The independent international experts in charge of the in-depth investigation into the unusual reactions recorded during the vaccination campaign against meningitis between 11 and 15 December 2012 at Gouro (West-Ennedi), presented their preliminary findings on Friday 18 January 2013 at SEM. Their investigation was based on four (4) axes:
    Analysis of available documents;
    Analysis of the organization of the vaccination campaign and vaccine quality;
    Interviews of the different parties involved;
    Medical examination of the 36 cases in the two hospitals in N’Djamena.
    As a result from the different analyses, discussions among the team, and after meetings or contacting those implicated (or not implicated), in the event, the experts have come to the preliminary conclusions below:
    EXPERT FINDINGS
    The vaccination campaign organized in Gouro was conducted under normal conditions by staffs who are experienced in implementing mass campaigns and routine vaccination programs.
    The conditions of hospitalization, in particular the medical care at the psychological level, the dialogue between the community and the health staff, were insufficient.
    The crises are triggered by noise, visits by foreigners, and the occurrence of crises among other patients. Apart from these agitated periods, the children lead normal lives.
    The patients are aged between 8 and 25 years, and with 77% of them being girls, i.e. 27 out of a total of 35.
    A child that had not been vaccinated complains of similar symptoms.
    All the different medical examinations performed on the patients were normal. The neurological examination on patients at the request of the experts also concluded that all was normal.
    The same MenAfriVac vaccine lot 127M1033, used in Gouro, was used in the entire Ennedi region.
    The expert reports from WHO on the vaccine lot at the level of the manufacturer Serum Institute of India (SII), showed no manufacturing defect.
    The MenAfriVac vaccine, prequalified by WHO in 2010, has been subjected to all the required tests before being used. To date, more than 100 million people have been vaccinated in 10 countries (Burkina Faso, Mali, Niger, Cameroon, Nigeria, Ghana, Sudan, Senegal, Chad, and Benin). The vaccine will be further introduced in 16 African countries. Since the introduction of the vaccine, no case of meningitis “A” has been recorded in vaccinated individuals.
    EXPERT RECOMMENDATIONS
    Ensure the progressive but rapid return of the children to their families and a medical follow-up;
    Maintain a dialogue with the families, and vaccination stakeholders and partners.
    Reinforce the medical structure at the local level through the addition of a doctor and a qualified nurse for a better health follow up in the populations and routine immunization activities.
    Reinforce the ability of the health staff in crisis communication and the management of rumors.
    The experts wish to specifically state that analysis of the epidemiological, medical, clinical, and diagnostic tests data, has not been able to establish a causal link between the clinical manifestations observed in the patients and the MenAfriVac vaccine.
    The symptoms observed in patients are similar to those described in the literature under several names:
    Collective hysteria
    Collective obsessive behavior
    Mass psychogenic phenomenon
    The independent experts thank the population and the authorities in Chad for their confidence. They request that the authorities be diligent in the implementation of the recommendations that will facilitate a return to a peaceful situation that will be to the benefit of the vaccination programs.
    The full preliminary report has been submitted to the governmental authorities and will be finalized by the Health Service in Tunisia, where 7 of the 35 patients from N’Djamena were evacuated.
    The Ministry of Public Health has worked in collaboration with the experts whilst guaranteeing the complete independence of the investigation. The Ministry welcomes the experts’ conclusions in reassuring the patients, their families, and the general public of the health status of the evacuated patients from Gouro, the quality of the MenAfriVac vaccine and the overall importance of vaccination.
    N’Djamena, 21 January 2013
    The Minister of Public Health
    Dr Mamouth Nahor N’Gawara.
     Stephen Novella, MD, a neurologist wrote about another case of mass psychogenic illness in the US:
    …. A conversion disorder occurs when psychological stress manifests as physical symptoms. We take this for granted to some degree – when people feel anxious they may get sweaty, nauseated, short of breath, and have palpitations. People with panic attacks can have these symptoms and also difficulty swallowing, and episodes that may resemble certain types of seizures with feelings of being separate from reality or from themselves. These are physical symptoms resulting from pure emotional stress. But in some cases psychological stress can also lead to neurological symptoms – pretty much any neurological symptoms, such as weakness, difficulty speaking, loss of vision, and involuntary movements.
    It’s important to note that this is a known and well-established syndrome. Neurologists see patients with conversion disorder frequently, and it can be positively demonstrated in many cases that the neurological symptoms are not due to any damage or lesion in the nervous system but to psychological stress. For example, it can be demonstrated in someone with psychogenic blindness that their visual system actually works. Many patients with psychogenic seizures display features that are neuroanatomically impossible to be due to actual seizures.
    He went on to write,
    ….In this case [the Leroy illness] we are probably dealing with not only a psychogenic illness but a case of mass psychogenic illness, which is also a known phenomenon. In these cases the stressful trigger is partly the appearance of symptoms in other people, which causes anxiety about there being a contagious illness or an environmental exposure. In susceptible individuals this can trigger a psychogenic illness mimicking the symptoms of those already affected. There may even be an original case that is due to physical illness that acts as the trigger. We do not know what makes individuals susceptible to this, but epidemiologically women are affected much more than men.
    The LeRoy case has all the hallmarks of a mass psychogenic illness. Most of the symptomatic individuals are women, they are all part of the same small and close knit community, and have social contact with each other. The diagnosis, therefore, is not based entirely on the exclusion of other causes. The case also has a natural history and epidemiological features that fit a mass psychogenic illness.
    Previously here:
    Is It True that a Meningitis Vaccine Paralyzed Many Children in Chad?
    Claim: “40 Children in Chad Paralyzed by Vaccines” Is Probably False
    MenAfriVac Adverse event reporting in the medical literature:
    Chaibou MS, Bako H, Salisou L, Yaméogo TM, Sambo M, Kim SH, Djingarey MH, Zuber PL, Perea WA, Pezzoli L. Monitoring adverse events following immunization with a new conjugate vaccine against group A meningococcus in Niger, September 2010. Vaccine. 2012 Jul 27;30(35):5229-34. doi: 10.1016/j.vaccine.2012.06.006. Epub 2012 Jun 16.
    Ouandaogo CR, Yaméogo TM, Diomandé FV, Sawadogo C, Ouédraogo B, Ouédraogo-Traoré R, Pezzoli L, Djingarey MH, Mbakuliyemo N, Zuber PL. Adverse events following immunization during mass vaccination campaigns at first introduction of a meningococcal A conjugate vaccine in Burkina Faso, 2010. Vaccine. 2012 May 30;30 Suppl 2:B46-51. doi: 10.1016/j.vaccine.2011.12.112. Epub 2012 Jan 9.
    Selected readings in mass psychogenic illness research:
    Broderick JE, Kaplan-Liss E, Bass E. Experimental induction of psychogenic illness in the context of a medical event and media exposure. Am J Disaster Med. 2011 May-Jun;6(3):163-72.
    Jones TF, Mass Psychogenic Illness: Role of the Individual Physician Am Fam Physician. 2000 Dec 15;62(12):2649-2653.
    Lorber W, Mazzoni G, Kirsch I. Illness by suggestion: expectancy, modeling, and gender in the production of psychosomatic symptoms.Ann Behav Med. 2007 Feb;33(1):112-6.
    Mazzoni G, Foan L, Hyland ME, Kirsch I. The effects of observation and gender on psychogenic symptoms.Health Psychol. 2010 Mar;29(2):181-5. doi: 10.1037/a0017860.
    Selected readings in mass psychogenic illness following vaccination:

33. novalox
    February 12, 2013 at 9:06 pm

@blue bird

See, Lawrence has an actual independent resource, unlike you.

So, care to pay up, troll?

34. Blue Bird
    February 12, 2013 at 9:18 pm

novalox, Where is the independent resource? All I see is just another website full of anecdotes.

Also, I don’t see any government documents??? Even if there were, I wouldn’t trust the Chad government. You guys are so gullable, but hey, if it helps fit your story, you’ll take it.

Nice try on the insult novalox. Makes me laugh, calling me a troll. Now I’m sure you’ll find some other way too try and insult me. Please do….I enjoy laughing a lot.

35. Blue Bird
    February 12, 2013 at 9:28 pm

lawrence…..just noticed your statement above…”@Chris – I did some digging and there is a good possibility that this entire situation never actually occurred…..”

Now what was that?

February 12, 2013 at 9:30 pm

This is useless. There is none so blind as those who will not see.

Luckily, for the rational readers of this site, all the evidence is there in black and white.

37. Blue Bird
    February 12, 2013 at 9:38 pm

Glad you give up lawrence.

Cheers!

38. novalox
    February 12, 2013 at 9:39 pm

@blue bird

Try again with your insults troll. Your pathetic attempt was slightly amusing, but nothing else.

Until you can pony up some actual independent resources, we can all assume that you are lying.

And just say that with every attempt at ad hominem you attempt, you admit that you have no argument.

39. Blue Bird
    February 12, 2013 at 9:44 pm

Repeating the same anti-vax lies doesn’t change the facts…..

Care to explain why One of the children “affected” hadn’t even been vaccinated?

41. Blue Bird
    February 12, 2013 at 9:44 pm

@novalox….didn’t I just say that? Keep them coming….I’m eating popcorn and laughing at you 🙂 Try again…..it just gets better and better. Can’t wait to see what you say next.

42. novalox
    February 12, 2013 at 9:48 pm

@bb

Thanks for admitting that your position is a joke.

So, you admit that you have actively lied, and admit that your story is false.

If you do not answer within 3 posts, you admit that you lied.

43. Blue Bird
    February 12, 2013 at 9:56 pm

Stop it…you’re killing me!! I am seriously on the floor laughing!!
    Am I going to turn into a toad if not 3 posts?? Stop it!!

44. February 12, 2013 at 9:57 pm

Chad’s government on Tuesday said a team of international experts have not been able to find any links between the hospitalisation of 38 children and their recent vaccinations against meningitis.

The children fell ill in the northern village of Gouro and were admitted to hospital after being vaccinated in a government campaign against the disease between December 11 and 15.

In a statement, the country’s health ministry said tests “failed to establish a causal link between the clinical manifestations observed in the patients and the MenAfriVac vaccine.”

Health Minister Mamouth Nahor N’Gawara said tests by experts at the World Health Organisation showed there was “no manufacturing fault” in the vaccine produced by the Serum Institute of India.

According to the statement, one child who never received the meningitis shot “complained of suffering from the same symptoms” found in the other children.

A local administration official said some of the children began to moan shortly after receiving their meningitis shot and then went into convulsions.

N’Gawara, who on Monday said the children’s state of health “is not worrying,” added they are now leading “normal lives”.

Meningitis outbreaks are frequent in the poor, landlocked Sahel country. “During the past 15 years, Chad has recorded more than 50,000 cases of meningitis with more than 5,000 deaths,” N’Gawara said.

In total, more than 100 million people in 10 African countries have been vaccinated against the disease.

45. novalox
    February 12, 2013 at 10:04 pm

@bb

Strike 1

46. Blue Bird
    February 12, 2013 at 10:34 pm

lawrence….you go from, “good possibility that this entire situation never actually occurred…..” to becoming a fast Google expert and posting anything you can find. More text doesn’t = truth. What, are you going to post long amounts of text to force it down all of us?? Make us believe??

As long as you are posting anecdotal summaries on websites, here’s one from me…

novalox….can’t wait to see what happens on strike 3….the anticipation is killing me. A frog not a toad? What? Please tell me. And, i forgot to not thank you for all of the useful information you have posted. You have added nothing (except for some humor to make my night) and that, i will thank you for!!

47. Blue Bird
    February 12, 2013 at 10:45 pm

48. novalox
    February 12, 2013 at 10:52 pm

@bb

Strike 2 and strike 3.

You admit that you are actively lying and trolling and you have nothing truthful to add.

Why should we even bother with what you say, we know that you are lying

PS: youtube videos are not reliable sources.

And to try to improve your humor, your attempts at insult really do fall flat.

49. Blue Bird
    February 12, 2013 at 11:04 pm

Hey….I’m still here! Not a frog!!
    What was it that you added relative to the topic? Oh yeah – NOTHING

50. novalox
    February 12, 2013 at 11:18 pm

@bb

Thank you for admitting that I have added much to the topic at hand, bb, and that you have added nothing but lies.

51. Blue Bird
    February 12, 2013 at 11:39 pm

Now your humor needs much improving. And your insults def need improving. I didn’t laugh or feel insulted. 😦

52. Blue Bird
    February 12, 2013 at 11:40 pm

Maybe you can do some Googling and add something to the conversation Nov?

February 13, 2013 at 12:08 am

How will “Googling” help. Why don’t you just tell us how that particular vaccine is pertinent to the vaccine used in the above article? It seems to be a different one.

And then you can tell us your plan to prevent meningitis in Africa and the USA, with real verifiable scientific evidence. Make sure the authors are actual scientists and not muckraking “journalists.”

54. novalox
    February 13, 2013 at 12:24 am

@Chris

Very unlikely that bb will even do that.

@bb

Thanks for admitting that you have added nothing to the conversation and that I am much more funnier than you are. I do appreciate the compliments that you have given to me.

55. Blue Bird
    February 13, 2013 at 1:11 pm

@Chris
    The “Googling” was a joke, trying to help nov out so he/she can add something to the conversation.

@novi
    “Perhaps when you will actually add some actual citations and verifiable sources for your viewpoints, then I may compliment you back.”
    You should take your own advice, you didn’t add anything of any value. All you do is come on here and insult people. Go ahead and re-read the thread – NOTHING.

56. February 13, 2013 at 1:30 pm

@BB – all you added was an anti-vaccine screed on an event that occurred in Africa, which, by all official accounts (posted above, but you haven’t bothered to read) was the result of mass hysteria & had nothing to do with the vaccine itself.

57. novalox
    February 13, 2013 at 1:55 pm

@bb

Thank you again for admitting that I have added a lot to this thread and that you have added nothing.

Of course, lies by you, are an honor to me, since you have nothing more than attacks and pseudo-sciencve to rely on.

I also thank you for your admission that all you have done bb was to throw ad hominems at other people when asked for independent verification.

So please, show us some independent verification, like Lawrence has done.

58. Blue Bird
    February 13, 2013 at 2:36 pm

Lawrence…I did read it and even your version says the mass hysteria (if you believe that) was caused by the vaccine.

novalox, It is sad, and I feel bad for you because you want to contribute so badly but have nothing to say….so you have to come on and insult people.

59. February 13, 2013 at 3:22 pm

@BB – your reading comprehension skills are as terrible as your understanding of basic scientific principles (not to mention your complete lack of understanding what constitutes a “source” or independent verification.)

So, I’ve provided direct sources, cited actual scientific literature, plus the information about the preliminary report on what actually occurred on the ground in Chad – what do you have BB?

60. Blue Bird
    February 13, 2013 at 3:45 pm

I guess I have more insults from you Lawrence.

What don’t you understand?

61. novalox
    February 13, 2013 at 4:02 pm

@bb

Again, thank you again for admitting that all you have done here is spew lies and throw insults.

Also thank you again for admitting that I have contributed something or worth and have validly challenged your ill-conceived notions and lies.

Again, why have you not posted any indepednet verification. You have done nothing since being asked except insult posters and throw ad homiems.

But at least all can see that by every ad hom you throw, you add to your admission that you are lying and have nothing of note to post.

So again, I ask, post something that independently verifies your earlier posts.

I’ll be waiting.

62. February 13, 2013 at 4:08 pm

@BB – you’ve obviously don’t recognize what constitutes an insult – because we’ve certainly been victim of far worse than critiques of reading skills around here….and I reiterate, your reading comprehension of the information, along with the cited scientific literature is absolutely horrible.

Nowhere is the claim made that “vaccines” caused the mass hysteria (i.e. no biological function within the vaccine to cause such a reaction – hence even un-vaccinated children suffered the same symptoms as well) as the overall environment in which the vaccines were given…..so, unless you have evidence of some biological methods wherein a vaccine can cause “mass hysteria” even among people not vaccinated, your anti-vax theories fall flat once again.

I eagerly await the final report from both the authorities in Chad, along with information that will be collected and presented from the hospital in Tunisia as well.

63. Blue Bird
    February 13, 2013 at 4:57 pm

Lawrence…..please tell me what caused the “mass hysteria”?

64. Blue Bird
    February 13, 2013 at 5:07 pm

From your own source:

Selected readings in mass psychogenic illness following vaccination:

•Clements CJ. Mass psychogenic illness after vaccination. Drug Saf. 2003;26(9):599-604.
    •Kharabsheh S, Al-Otoum H, Clements J, Abbas A, Khuri-Bulos N, Belbesi A, Gaafar T, Dellepiane N. Mass psychogenic illness following tetanus-diphtheria toxoid vaccination in Jordan.Bull World Health Organ. 2001;79(8):764-70. Epub 2001 Oct 24.
    •Huang WT, Hsu CC, Lee PI, Chuang JH. Mass psychogenic illness in nationwide in-school vaccination for pandemic influenza A(H1N1) 2009, Taiwan, November 2009-January 2010. Euro Surveill. 2010 May 27;15(21):19575.
    •Khiem HB, Huan le D, Phuong NT, Dang DH, Hoang DH, Phuong le T, Sac PK, Chien TM, Tai LA, Dan NT, Deen JL, Seidlein Lv, Clemens J, Trach DD Mass psychogenic illness following oral cholera immunization in Ca Mau City, Vietnam. Vaccine. 2003 Nov 7;21(31):4527-31.
    •Peiró EF, Yáñez JL, Carramiñana I, Rullán JV, Castell J. Med Clin (Barc). 1996 Jun 1;107(1):1-3. [Study of an outbreak of hysteria after hepatitis B vaccination]. [Article in Spanish]
    •Yasamy MT, Bahramnezhad A, Ziaaddini H. Postvaccination mass psychogenic illness in an Iranian rural school. East Mediterr Health J. 1999 Jul;5(4):710-6.

65. February 13, 2013 at 5:13 pm

@BB – well, the exact cause is variable, depending on the situation at the time, but guess what BB, there is actual research that delves into this very subject:

[Study of an outbreak of hysteria after hepatitis B vaccination].

or perhaps you’d like to review:

So, unlike you – who has jumped on the anti-vaccine bandwagon, I’ve actually taken the time to do a bit of research and gained a better understanding of the potential dynamics involved, recognize that this type of event has occurred before, and am satisfied that information, as it is being released, in pointing in this direction, as opposed to what the anti-vaccine folks are writing (out of their behinds, it looks like) – see when you have actual facts, evidence and supporting information at hand, it makes my stance look extremely reasonable, while yours is unsupportable & quite frankly, extremely fringe.

Let’s see what the final report shows now, shall we? Care to make that wager now BB?

66. February 13, 2013 at 5:16 pm

@BB – well, you can read, but certainly not comprehend what is written.

Again, based on your thorough research in the links provided (by both of us), please identify the exact biological mechanism by which these (completely separate vaccines – by both type, manufacture and time frame) directly caused “mass hysteria?”

I look forward to your essay.

67. February 13, 2013 at 5:24 pm

@BB – and I’ll even do one better for you. Here is an example of “mass hysteria” that includes multiple physical symptoms that occurs on a very regular basis here in the United States…..the very act of speaking in tongues & other physical acts that are related to what some would call “being touched by the Holy Spirit” which can affect an entire congregation – starting with just a few individuals, but quickly spreads to others through the power of suggestion and the high-stress levels of the group setting.

Of course, there is no Holy Spirit or other such nonsense – it is simply what happens in a communal setting that meets certain variables, with certain individuals – it happens often enough that we know it as “mass hysteria” and it is quite common, in a variety of settings.

So, not such a complicated explanation for the situation after all, is it BB?

68. Blue Bird
    February 13, 2013 at 5:50 pm

Still proving the “mass hysteria” (which i don’t belive anyway) was caused by the vaccine.
    Thanks for all of the supported information!

69. February 13, 2013 at 6:01 pm

@BB – you really are clueless, aren’t you?

You’re trying to blame a completely psychological process (mass hysteria) on a biological event (the vaccine)…….was the vaccination process perhaps the psychological trigger? Perhaps, but it wasn’t the vaccine itself (because there is no plausible mechanism for the vaccine to have that effect) – in fact, there is very little or no plausible mechanism for the vaccine to have caused the symptoms outside of the “mass hysteria” diagnosis anyway.

I’ve had fun showing how completely and utterly without evidence your opinions are – you’ve crossed the line into trollsville-proper, and I’m more than satisfied that, at minimum, all of the real evidence points firmly away from anything to do with the physical vaccine, and the most likely explanation rests in the realm of the psychological.

More information is likely to become available, and at that time, I’m happy to revisit the conversation. Until such time, however, I’m more than happy to ignore your evidence-free ramblings and blathering diatribes.

70. Blue Bird
    February 13, 2013 at 6:56 pm

More and more insults….really are breaking the rules here.

“was the vaccination process perhaps the psychological trigger? ”

Thank you! Even with your theory, without the vaccinations, it wouldn’t have happened.

This is still the best and most reliable “independent” source for the information.

February 13, 2013 at 6:58 pm

Blue Bird, you are now spamming.

72. novalox
    February 13, 2013 at 7:09 pm

Isn’t it interesting that the best bb can come up with is a biased website and a youtube video that has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

He/she/it makes the accusations about us not doing the research, and yet at the same, posts the same old anti-vax tropes and ad hominems, as well as the same old biased links.

Nothing on CNN, AP, or Reuters about this. Heck, nothing on Fox News about this.

But then again, he/she/it has consistently refused to post any actual reliable resources, which by now, is par for the course.

73. February 13, 2013 at 7:24 pm

Blue Bird, what is actually says is it was the appearance of the vaccination group and the ‘stress’ of the vaccination program that caused mass hysteria. Essentially a change to their norm, and one person exhibited odd symptoms and others followed suit. It was not caused by the vaccine as examinations and evaluations showed everyone affected was normal and healthy physically and neurologically. There was nothing that would have triggered this to happen that can be linked back to the vaccine, and the fact that one person who didn’t receive the vaccine also showed the same symptoms should be a dead give away of that. It was psychogenic, mass hysteria, caused by anxiety and stress from something being so very different from what they are used to. Have you ever had a panic attack? There is no physical reason for it, it is emotional, but the physical manifestations are very real to the person who suffers from them. One could almost go so far as to say it was psychosomatic, they expected something to happen and so they made it happen, not intentionally, and like dominoes, once one showed symptoms the rest fell in line behind, even one who didn’t get the vaccine.

74. Blue Bird
    February 13, 2013 at 7:32 pm

It’s not the first time vaccines triggered this lara…

Selected readings in mass psychogenic illness following vaccination:

75. February 13, 2013 at 8:28 pm

Some useful information on Meningitis inside the US:

About Meningococcal Disease

Meningococcal disease is a serious, potentially fatal bacterial infection that strikes an average of 1,500 Americans annually. In particular, adolescents and young adults are at increased risk of contracting meningococcal disease.

Meningococcal Disease – Two Most Common Manifestations & Their Symptoms

How Much Do You Know?
    Incidence

The number of meningococcal disease cases changes from year to year. From 1998 to 2007, about 1,500 Americans were infected each year, with a range of 900 to 3,000 cases. 11% of those infected will die. Adolescents and young adults have an increased incidence of meningococcal disease, accounting for 15 percent of all cases. One out of seven cases among adolescents will result in death.

Among those who survive meningococcal disease, approximately 20 percent suffer long-term consequences, such as brain damage, kidney disease, hearing loss or limb amputations.
    ——————————————————————————–
    For the uneducated – 11% mortality rate is huge! Only Smallpox could have been considered more severe (with a mortality rate between 30 – 98%, depending on the strain.

Imagine if you were living in a country where tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of unvaccinated individuals were at risk – that represents a potential death toll in the tends of thousands (or more) each and every year – not to mention the 20% serious side-effect rate.

This is why the vaccine is important – particular in areas of the world where medical care is substandard and sparse at best.

76. Rose
    February 14, 2013 at 11:09 am

The pathogens that cause Hib and pneumococcal meningitis are commonly found in the bodies of a large percentage of healthy individuals, and only occasionally cause disease. The vaccines only target a small number of the existing serotypes, and reducing the numbers of the included serotypes by vaccination leaves open a niche which the other serotypes can then fill. Most adults have achieved immunity through sub-clinical exposure at some time in their lives. The vaccines can be dangerous, causing all the usual kinds of vaccine-induced conditions.

It would be better to figure out what makes only a few people susceptible to contracting meningitis, and target prevention only to them, rather than damaging an entire population with vaccines.

Extended breastfeeding of babies and toddlers, and keeping them at home rather than in daycare, would provide optimal disease protection while avoiding the myriad types of vaccine damage.

77. novalox
    February 14, 2013 at 11:54 am

@rose

[citation needed]

78. February 14, 2013 at 12:19 pm

@rose / cia parker (since that’s who you are) – you’re talking about a disease which is extremely dangerous, with an 11 – 14% mortality rate, plus a rate of 20% severe side-effects for the survivors…..care to explain how exactly you would prevent the transmission of this disease without the vaccine?

Invasive meningococcal disease–

Occurs in three common clinical forms: meningitis (49% of cases), blood infections (33%), and pneumonia (9%); other forms account for the remainder (9%).
    Can have an abrupt onset with a rapid course of disease.
    Has a case fatality rate of 10% to 14%; 11% to 19% of survivors suffer serious sequalae including deafness, neurologic deficit, or limb loss.
    Affects approximately 1 in 100,000 people annually in the United States.
    In the United States, almost all cases are caused by Neisseria menigitidis bacteria serogroups B, C, and Y.

High-risk groups for invasive Meningococcal disease include–

College freshmen living in dormitories
    Microbiologists who are routinely exposed to isolates of N. meningitidis
    Military recruits
    People who travel to reside in countries where N. meningitidis is hyperendemic or epidemic, particularly if contact with the local population is prolonged