Home > Get Involved, Preventable Diseases, Testimonials > Day By Day, Shot By Shot

Day By Day, Shot By Shot

Every Easter season I imagine how devastating it would be to watch your child suffer and die.  While I sat in church yesterday, blessed to be among my family and thankful to the Lord for sacrificing his only son, I couldn’t help but admire a young couple sitting in front of me with a tiny baby boy.  He couldn’t have been more than a few weeks old, nestling into his mother’s chest and grinning in his sleep.  He was absolutely precious, as every new life is.

As I sat admiring this baby, I couldn’t keep my mind from wondering what would become of this child.  I began to think about my experiences with Shot of Prevention over the past year and I prayed he would remain safe and healthy.

The truth is, before I began immersing myself in the world of immunization advocacy, I thought that most of the diseases we immunized against were non-existent thanks to the success of vaccines.  I didn’t really think these diseases were still claiming the lives of children, and I only knew one person who had died from a vaccine preventable disease, and it wasn’t a child.

Sadly, I didn’t really consider the risk of disease among children too young to be vaccinated.  I didn’t realize that there are people who can’t be vaccinated.  And I didn’t fully understand the impact of those who choose not to vaccinate.  What’s even worse is that I didn’t know how many people still suffer and die from vaccine preventable diseases.

Day by day, as I continue to learn more about the benefits of immunizations, I also hear more heart-wrenching stories about children – born happy and healthy, like the child I admired in church – who have suffered or died from vaccine preventable diseases.   These real-life stories, told by survivors, family members, friends and even health care providers, have the power to touch us, educate us and move us toward action.

Now, thanks to ShotbyShot.org, there is a unique storybank of videos and written accounts from people who have been touched by vaccine-preventable diseases. From whooping cough, to meningitis, to the chicken pox and the flu, these stories remind us that vaccine preventable diseases are still impacting people in our own communities and causing a huge amount of suffering and death.

Today, in honor of National Infant Immunization Week (NIIW), we are launching a new feature in which we will highlight different stories as seen on Shot By Shot.  You can also make an impact by sharing these stories with friends and family and encouraging them to do the same.  Additionally, if you have had a personal experience with a vaccine preventable disease yourself, we urge you to consider submitting a story of your own.  We don’t want others to suffer the way you may have and personal accounts are a powerful and effective way for us to educate others about the importance of prevention and the value of vaccination.    For our first video feature, we have chosen to highlight one family’s story of pertussis, which not only illustrates the importance of childhood immunizations, but explains the concept of cocooning infants by keeping adults up to date with their booster shots.  By spreading this message we hope to protect the gift of life, which is definitely something to be grateful for.

1. Steve Michaels
    April 26, 2011 at 6:51 am

“Every Easter season I imagine how devastating it would be to watch your child suffer and die.”

WOW!!! Playing the fear card to the max again! How about a weekly feature of children who have been killed or damaged BY the vaccines. There are thousands of reports of SEVERE adverse reactions up to and including death. Why not feature some of those Christine?

“I also hear more heart-wrenching stories about children – born happy and healthy, like the child I admired in church – who have suffered or died from vaccine preventable diseases. ”

Read your history Christine. You make it sound like children drop like flies without vaccines. History shows that this is untrue. Even statistics by your supporters show that damage and death from VPD were dropping to near zero BEFORE vaccines were introduced. In fact, not knowing your age, it would seem to me that in your pretend world of dying children everywhere, you are only here by the grace of God because you are certainly too old to have received the 50 odd recommended vaccines of today.

2. Marni
    April 27, 2011 at 7:24 am

steve, …christine can’t do a weekly feature on infants that have died from vaccines because it doesn’t happen. also, just because you state there are thousands of reports of severe adverse reactions to vaccines, this doesn’t equate to “vaccines caused thousands of reactions.” just because someone reports a reaction that they claim is caused by the vaccine, that does not mean that it is. you are confusing “reports” with an actual causal relationship between vaccines and an adverse event. someone simply stating that a vaccine caused a reaction is not evidence that a vaccine caused a reaction. also, i don’t see how christine made it sound like children drop like flies without vaccines. only that there are very deadly diseases which children can and do die from, …or, if they don’t, can have other serious life-long damage and suffering from, …that is completely preventable.

you make a host of other wild claims that are simply untrue, and unsupported. not knowing christine’s age is clearly not the only thing you don’t know.

3. Christine
    April 27, 2011 at 10:21 am

Steve, My reference to the Easter season and watching a child suffer and die was directly related to my faith and the crucifixion of Jesus Christ. He was, after all, the son of God. His mother, Mary, also had to witness his suffering and death. Jesus’ sacrifice demonstrates God’s love for us all. I figured most people knew what I was referring to and therefore I didn’t feel the need to explain it all in detail. But perhaps you are not familiar with the Passion of Christ or the Easter season so I’m happy to clarify this for you.

It is interesting how you enjoy taking my commentary and exploiting it with your opinions of what you think I “meant” to say. I did not claim that children were dropping like flies. Fortunately, because of vaccines, they are not. I did say, however, that through my efforts on this blog, I have met and heard from people who have had their children die from vaccine preventable disease. As I mentioned, prior to my involvement with vaccine advocacy, I was like most other people and didn’t realize that children still die from these disease. Additionally, I have never heard of anyone that has died from a vaccine injury. And to clarify one other thing, children today are not immunized against 50 different diseases. But you already know that Steve.

4. Steve Michaels
    April 27, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Here is a blog about the ad in Times Square.

Go through the comments. An awful lot of people have had severe adverse reaction to vaccines, including death. There were many reported deaths from the Gardasil vaccine. There were deaths from Swine Flu vaccines in India. Please don’t try to say that “I have never heard of anyone that has died from a vaccine injury.” As an advocate for vaccines, you MUST have come across these reports. Either that or your research is woefully lacking.

I respect your religious tone of the opening line, but stand by my belief in your meaning, even if it is a a double entendre. You went from this:

To this:

“As I sat admiring this baby, I couldn’t keep my mind from wondering what would become of this child.”

The meaning is clear. The thought process was from death and suffering of Jesus directly to the child who sparked your thoughts. Maybe it was unintentional. Maybe it was subconscious. But the train of thought is definitely there.

Sources for this material include “national public health agencies, encyclopedias, Vital Statistics and Historical Statistics of the US, published medical journals, UNICEF reports, and more.”

“also, just because you state there are thousands of reports of severe adverse reactions to vaccines, this doesn’t equate to “vaccines caused thousands of reactions.” just because someone reports a reaction that they claim is caused by the vaccine, that does not mean that it is.”

Have you not read that Gardasil has been pulled from the market and now some swine flu vaccines have been pulled due to large numbers of adverse reaction, including death? Is America already so censored as to not know what is happening in the rest of the world? Finland, Sweden, Australia, India…

5. Christine
    April 27, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Let me re-phrase my comment…I have never known or met anyone who has personally known someone who has died from a vaccine injury. However, I am aware of the claims that are made.

6. Gary
    April 29, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Steve – “History shows that this is untrue. Even statistics by your supporters show that damage and death from VPD were dropping to near zero BEFORE vaccines were introduced.”

See, you almost had a point there steve. If you could have restrained yourself from saying “to near zero” you would have. But you just could not stop yourself from reading things into the data which simply are not true. People, mostly children, died from vaccine preventable disease in significant numbers right up until vaccines were widely used. The incidence of these diseases was mostly constant up until vaccines became available. It is certainly true that better nutrition and more effective post infection medical treatments reduced the death rates from the levels of the late 19th century, the did not reduce them to “near zero” at all.

In general:

And for Measles in particular:

7. Gary
    April 29, 2011 at 1:09 pm

Steve – “There were many reported deaths from the Gardasil vaccine. There were deaths from Swine Flu vaccines in India. Please don’t try to say that “I have never heard of anyone that has died from a vaccine injury.” As an advocate for vaccines, you MUST have come across these reports. Either that or your research is woefully lacking.”

Or maybe she did actual research rather than gossip. You know where the researcher is interested in causation rather than simple association.

Oh, maybe you don’t know. Oh, dear.

8. Gary
    April 29, 2011 at 1:14 pm

Steve, those charts are lying to you.

“All of them show decreasing death rates from various diseases. Wow! It seems like slam dunk evidence, doesn’t it? Vaccines didn’t save us! After all, death rates were declining years before the vaccine, and they were declining for the diseases that didn’t even need a vaccine!

Death rates.

Here’s the problem. It’s not surprising that death rates were declining before introduction of the vaccines. Medicine was improving. More importantly, supportive care was improving. For example, take the case of polio. Before the introduction of the iron lung and its widespread use, for example, if a polio patient developed paralysis of the respiratory muscles, he would almost certainly die. The iron lung allowed such patients to live. Some even survived in an iron lung for decades. No doubt improved nutrition also played a role as well.”

9. Steve Michaels
    April 29, 2011 at 1:26 pm

You are very disrespectful of families who have lost children within minutes to days of receiving a vaccine from known side effects such as seizures and encephalitis. On top of that, if you read my statements, I claimed that the DEATH RATES rate of decline was unchanged before and after vaccines. All of the hype about vaccines is based on ‘your child will die’ if you don’t vaccinate. If you are going to refute me, at least refute what I am saying, not what you think I am saying or what you want me to say because you can handle what you think I said and avoid what I actually said….

10. Gary
    April 29, 2011 at 9:12 pm

No, Steve, you did NOT make that much more limited claim

“And Marni, where are my ‘wild claims’? That children really weren’t dropping like flies? They weren’t. That vaccines really didn’t have the major impact on VPDs that we are led to believe? The didn’t. Here’s my support:”

You claim specifically was that vaccines did not have a major impact on VPDs. This is a lie. The data you used to support it is a lie. You have been shown the truth on this and you continue to post such lies. I’m sorry, Steve, but you are lying. And you doing it intentionally in order to convince people to avoid vaccines which could save their lives in order to make a political point.

Finally, your new claim, that the rate of change of the death rate for VPDs was unchanged before and after vaccines became available is also false.
    Here is a more detailed look at the data: http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/reprint/76/4/524?ijkey=02b9716d1603b7455ce30a4acd8574fe687c97bd

Unless what your trying to say is that the rate of change in the mortality rates from VPDs did not change before or after the vaccines. That is the proportion of VPD infections which caused deaths was declining significantly before vaccine. And they continued to decline after vaccines. This is certainly NOT what your graphs support. They purport to show the overall death rates due to diseases, not the mortality risk of specific diseases.

11. September 26, 2011 at 1:17 am

Very interesting article. I Just though that you really know your topic very well to write this. Many of the benefits we derive from this topic. Thank you for sharing.

1. June 2, 2011 at 5:52 pm